Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Why I became a Catholic? The Sacraments

The initial draw of the Catholic Church for me was the hope of developing my relationship with Jesus through learning to pray.  I was also looking for an inner transformation flowing out of that closer relationship where I would trust in God rather than being overwhelmed by fear and running to my idols.  I wanted to be able to love people with God's love.  And I was finding that and much more.  I found that there was a whole ancient and living community, the Church, the Body of Christ, to connect with and relate to in addition to God, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.  I found the sacramentals (physical items and actions that aid in developing one's relationship with God such as the sign of the cross, rosaries, prayer books and cards, etc).  And I found the Sacraments of which there are seven in the Catholic Church.  The Eastern Orthodox also have essentially the same seven which they call the Mysteries.

The Baltimore Catechism defines a sacrament in this short and simple way.  A Sacrament is an outward sign instituted by Christ to give grace.

In Howard's words, they are outward signs that are actual channels of grace established by Jesus Christ that actually provide the graces that they signify.

In the Catholic Church they are grouped together in the following categories which help us to understand their purpose.

The Sacraments of Initiation
  Baptism
  Confirmation
  Eucharist (Holy Communion)

The Sacraments of Healing
  Penance & Reconciliation (Confession)
  Anointing of the Sick

The Sacraments at the Service of Communion
  Holy Orders
  Matrimony

As an evangelical Protestant with non-denominational/Baptist tendencies, I only recognized two of the seven (Lord's Supper/Communion and Baptism).  I wouldn't have called them sacraments and they were purely symbolic in my view.  The Lord's Supper was a remembrance/self examination only and Baptism was a profession of faith.  Both were a matter of obedience to Christ.  Neither were necessary for salvation.

But as I came to understand the Catholic teaching on the Sacraments, I found out just how much I was missing.  In fact, I am still learning and marveling at how much I was missing.  And I am extremely grateful to be the undeserving recipient of such torrents of grace as are being poured into my soul through them.

I am looking forward to writing about these treasures of blessing in the weeks ahead.





No comments:

Post a Comment