Sunday, August 4, 2013

Why did I become a Catholic? The Church as a hospital for sinners so they can become saints as they learn to walk with God.

Even though the Church is a hospital for recovering sinners and staffed by recovering sinners and Satan plants his agents in the Church and thus evil, sin and scandal happen in and through the Church, God has set it apart and declared it holy and has endowed it with many gifts and channels of grace so that He can accomplish His plan of salvation in and through the Church.

As I have revealed in my posts, I was finding that the lives and prayers of Mary and the Saints, the sacramentals (actions and material objects that helped turn one's heart and mind towards God, not to be confused with the Sacraments) and the prayer books were helping me hang onto Jesus.  I discovered that developing a close, intimate union with God, the Holy Trinity, was emphasized and encouraged.  And so many sinners have been transformed into Saints because that is what happens when one hangs out with God and finds out how passionately God loves us.

There was also an emphasis on our solidarity with both believers and unbelievers as fellow human beings created in God's image through the social teachings of the Catholic Church.  Hence the many charitable works that the Catholic Church has been and is engaged in and the concern for the poor, education, healthcare and defending life.

I was also seeing verses in Scripture that I had never noticed before, like Mary in Revelation 12.

More on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment