Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Why I became a Catholic? It really was an accident from a human perspective. I just wanted to follow and to be close Jesus.

That's all. 

A Protestant usually does not start out wanting to become a Catholic.  I mean it's counter-intuitive really.  I mean the Catholic Church is what we Protestants have been protesting against since the Reformation 500 years ago.  That's why there was such a barrier when I wanted to go through the doors of a Catholic church about 20 years ago.  But I needed help to walk with Jesus, to pray, and what I had experienced to date in the Protestants was great in many ways but Howard wasn't changing as much as he needed to, to become the man of God, the husband, the father, the friend that he wanted to be.  And life was almost defeating me.  But not quite.  I have been shown a path to follow through the wilderness, a little way to follow.

And yet, God (Father, Son and Holy Spirit) has been leading me all the way.  All through my life.  And becoming Catholic is giving me understanding of that in so many ways, especially with the Scriptural background I received being an evangelical Protestant for so many years.

I mentioned seeing Scriptures that I hadn't seen before.  Oh, I had read them and even studied a lot of them but I didn't understand them.  So what are they?

Well, let's take angels for instance.  The Catholic Church teaches that we are each assigned a guardian angel.  Where do they get that from?  From Jesus.  In Matthew 18:10, He says “See that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that their angels in heaven always look upon the face of my heavenly Father."  The phrase does include children for He has just used a child as the reference point for His lessons in the passage but it is also clear from the passage that we must all become childlike to enter the kingdom of heaven.  So we are all His little ones, the lost ones He is gathering. 

More later.  Time to get ready to go to work.


No comments:

Post a Comment