Wednesday, April 8, 2015

The Jesus Prayer - For Christ also suffered for sins once ... that he might lead you to God. 1 Peter 3:18

The Episcopal/Anglican prayer books helped give structure and added substance to my prayers but they didn't keep me in prayer long enough to really go deep with God.  And so I kept searching and began to read about and look into Eastern Orthodox Christianity and spirituality.  It was there that I encountered the Jesus Prayer which goes, "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner."  It is basically the tax collector's prayer recorded in the Gospels but addressed to Jesus.  And Jesus said of the tax collector in Luke 18, "14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for every one who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted.” (RSVCE)

It was a short prayer, easily memorized and it gave me hope.  As the Apostle Paul says in 1 Timothy 1:15, "Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners." (NABRE)   And the writer of Hebrews says in Chapter 4,
"14 Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. 15 For we have not a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sinning. 16 Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need." (RSVCE)

And I was glad I learned it because I had a period of time that lasted a few months where I could not focus on the Scriptures, the Accuser was assailing me, my fear was crippling and words for prayer fled me except for the Jesus Prayer which I had memorized.  I repeated it over and over until each onslaught passed.

One fear that used to trouble me a lot was the fear of death, particularly if I was far from home or in a big city.  I was afraid I would have heart attack and die alone at the side of the road in my car.  And I would have panic attacks which felt like heart attacks.  I came up with a prayer of my own for those times.  "Lord Jesus, I belong to you so whether I live or die, I will be okay."  And it worked.  The fear would almost always disappear.

Eventually, I was led to start checking out the Catholic Church through the prayers set to music by John Michael Talbot and the Chaplet of Divine Mercy in song.  I will write about those next.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment