Thursday, July 11, 2013

Why did I become a Catholic? The Longer Version Part 4 Becoming a closet Catholic while being a practising Methodist. Cont'd # 3

You will probably have noticed that what was attracting me so far was practical Catholic spirituality and you are probably wondering about the doctrinal issues.  With my fairly solid Biblical background, I was finding that actual Catholicism, as compared to the mythical version of Catholicism with which I was previously familiar as a Protestant, was actually very Biblical and in some areas even more literal in its interpretations and applications than my evangelical, Bible-believing background.

One of the things my wife and I found interesting, when we were in Central Oregon and had visited many churches looking for a church home, was what the different Christian churches said about the other churches and what they believed.  Many of them had the Straw Man Syndrome.  They often took the most extreme worst possible examples of the other churches faith and practice and made them the general rules for those churches.  But Joan and I had been to the churches they were talking about and I had studied the history and theology of those other churches.  And what the churches we were currently attending said about the others was often untrue or greatly distorted.  The best way to find out about what a Christian group believes is to read its documents, go direct to the source.






No comments:

Post a Comment