Saturday, July 6, 2013

Why did I become a Catholic? An improved short answer.

I am one of those writers who is always searching for more clarity and conciseness as I seek to express what is waiting inside of me on the page before me.  Therefore it takes a lot of time for me to write anything.  I feel like one of the Ents in an Ent moot.  It takes a long time to say anything at all in Entish.  Which is why I have avoided it for so long.  Now I can't seem to help myself.  I want to help people that are interested to know what I learned and find what I have found.

My previous short answer was "It helps me to walk with Jesus and hang onto Him."  That is a true answer in so far as it goes.  However it dawned on me tonight that the reason it is easier for me to walk with and hang onto Jesus as a Catholic is that Jesus is making Himself more present to me.  I am on the receiving end.  I am merely availing myself of channels of grace like streams of living water that God has placed within my small reach and weak grasp.  And these channels of grace are available and within reach of the lowliest.  They aren't experiences available only to those upon whom they fall.  I am not a super saint.

So as I am writing my longer answer I will be going into those channels of grace.

I want to thank my friend, Barb, and my sister-in-law, Claudia, for inspiring this post with their comments and questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment