Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Why did I become a Catholic? The short answer.

I am often asked, "Why did you become a Catholic?". Now I have learned that is often a rhetorical question not requiring an answer. What they really mean is, "Have you lost your mind?!" And I can really understand their sentiment having once been skeptical of the Catholic Church, just like them. Even if they sort of want to know, they usually ask me in a context where I have about 30 seconds t...o answer and a thousand reasons are coming to my mind all vying for expression and so I was giving rather vague answers. So I finally have come up with the answer that sums those reasons up. "It helps me to walk with Jesus and hang onto Him." That's the short answer. Now if people want to know how it helps me to do so, then that will require sitting down over cups of coffee and talking about it.

But having become a Catholic doesn't mean that I don't value having been an evangelical Protestant. I was introduced to Jesus and I was given the Biblical background and ministry training that enhances my experience, understanding and service as a Catholic. I go to 2 churches every weekend and I love my brothers and sisters in both. My Catholic parish and the evangelical Protestant church Joan belongs to. I am blessed by both. A double blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment